Let me tell you.. I really enjoyed this photo shoot! The ingredients alone where the stars! As I always say, it doesn’t take much to season a dish. Some good olive oil, fresh herbs, garlic, salt and pepper can make miracles happen! And, on top of that, this is the first time that I post a meat dish. I don’t even know why. OK, we don’t eat that much chicken. Just the other day I was thinking about that, as much as we love it, it is rarely served on our table. And I came to the conclusion that since the butcher shut down, where I used to buy our meat, I haven’t found another one, nor an organic farmer in this area. So, I will continue my search.
Had we had a grill available, I would have loved to grill this chicken! With or without skin, it would turn crunchy as I love it! I mean, who doesn’t? ;) But if you bake it instead, with a little marinade, as soon as you take it out of the oven and the tender meat literally falls off the bone, you won’t regret having skipped the BBQ part ;)
I also made a side dish with potatoes and carrots, simmered with olive oil and herbs in a large pan. An alternative would be baking the vegetables together with the chicken. Give it a try! I didn’t do it simply because I was lacking a baking dish that was large enough to hold all that goodness. Oh! And to add that extra flavor I used the rosemary-lemon sea salt that I made not too long ago!
- 1 kg / 2 lb chicken parts (with or without skin)
- a few sprigs of thyme
- a few sprigs of rosemary
- juice of 1 lemon, and a few slices
- (extra-virgin) olive oil (approx. same amount as lemon juice)
- (sea) salt
- red ground pepper
- Clean the meat. Remove the skin (if desired).
- Place the meat in a large baking dish.
- In a bowl mix the olive, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinade on top of the meat.
- Add the herbs, garlic and lemon slices and mix well.
- If you have time available, place in the fridge for a few hours. Alternatively bake immediately in the preheated oven at 180°C / 356°F for about 45 minutes.
- Note: Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil for a juicier result. I baked it halfway with foil, then removed it, and removed as well some of the liquid.