Let’s talk about zucchini fritters today!
Not too long ago my brother created this quick side dish with the leftover zucchini that he had. When it was time to add the Parmesan cheese, he grabbed the package he had bought, and realized that he had bought the wrong one. It said flakes instead of grated. So he ended up using that one for this recipe. And that was one of those times, where an actual mistake turned into something so fabulous!
When you eat them you can taste that little saltiness that comes from the Parmesan, and they are instantly being transformed into a crunchy treat! Addicting, to be more precise. I tend to eat them right away, while they are still hot. And knowing that I have to share them with others, is the only thing that makes me refrain from eating them all.
The dip is an extra that I wanted to add to this recipe. Dips are not big in Italy, if at all existing. But I don’t mind them at all :) In this case it adds that extra freshness to the fritters. Like in this case ;)
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, grated
- 50 g / 2 oz Parmesan cheese flakes
- 2 full tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint, chopped
- Red ground pepper
- (canola) oil, to fry
- Slice the zucchinis with peel and all, with a coarse grater. Place into a large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Heat enough oil to cover the entire surface of a large pan.
- Portion the zucchini mix with a full tablespoon and place carefully into the pan with the hot oil.
- Fry one side until brown and crisp before flipping them.
- After a few minutes, as soon as they get a nice color on both sides, remove from the pan and place on a plate covered with paper kitchen towels to absorb the grease.
- Serve immediately.