Are you looking for a quick recipe to prepare on one of those days when you don’t have time, or you simply don’t feel like spending hours in the kitchen? Honestly, don’t we feel that way most of the time? I mean, I do. As much as I love cooking, and as much as I say ” Let me make a ‘quick’ pizza”, or similar.. Let’s face the truth. Most of the time that “quick” dish turns into a bigger project. Is it still worth it, to spend that additional time in the kitchen? In my opinion, yes, it surely is. But as much as I enjoy making things from scratch, I don’t mind quick and easy recipes like this one here.
All you need is a bread loaf, a few tomatoes, mozzarella, basil pesto and black olives. A little oregano and olive oil to sprinkle on top. Ready! As you can see, I like it simple.
When you take it out of the oven, you’ll be amazed by so much crunchiness and yumminess, all at once! And then the cheese… SO good!! It truly smells and tastes like a pizza. Serve it as a side, as a snack when unexpected guests come over, or at whatever time of the day!
What I like most about this recipe is that you can experiment by adding all kind of ingredients. What about artichokes? Or capers? A different kind of cheese?? More herbs? What about bacon or salami for the non-vegetarian version?
This time I refrained from adding exact amounts, as it depends on the size of bread that you are using. And on top of that this recipe gives you the freedom to adjust the quantities depending on your taste.
So, what about you? Did you end up adding different ingredients? Or did you stick to this one? I’d love to hear how it came out :)
- 1 bread loaf (i.e. ciabatta bread)
- tomatoes, sliced or chopped and salted
- mozzarella, sliced
- black olives, halved
- basil pesto
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F.
- Cut lines halfway deep into the bread (lengthwise and widthwise).
- Stuff the cuts with the tomato.
- Dip the mozzarella into the pesto and distribute evenly into the bread, followed by the olives.
- Sprinkle with oregano and olive oil.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust gets a nice golden color.
- Serve immediately.