The other day I was thinking about how many recipes I have posted that do not have olive oil as an ingredient. And besides the desserts and drinks, there are only very few recipes without this precious green gold.
As much as we use extra virgin olive oil at home to season the Mediterranean dishes combined with herbs, such as oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary and so on, now it was time for a mix. It’s been a while.. Two in one bottle!
The dishes this aromatic olive oil can be combined with are endless. They go from a quick snack such as bruschetta with tomatoes, to seasoning the homemade pizza, salad, pasta, fish or meat dish. If you have the chance to get friselle, I truly recommend trying those! Friselle are a crunchy twice-baked bread from Southern Italy and the perfect snack!
The flavor of this wonderful combination will blow you away! Imagine serving it with a dish..
- A bunch of fresh basil
- Extra virgin olive oil (to fill a small bottle)
- Clean the basil and separate the leaves from the stem (do not trash the stems!)
- Bring some water to a boil in a pot.
- In the mean time fill a bowl with iced water.
- Blanching the basil is an important step in order to keep the intense green color.
- At this point the basil leaves need to be added to the boiling water for about 20 seconds.
- Remove and plunge them immediately into the iced water bowl.
- Take them out after approx. 5 seconds. Place them on a paper towel and pat dry.
- Repeat the same procedure with the stems. Leave them at least 1 min in the boiling water.
- Then a quick dip in the iced water bowl. Pat dry on the paper towel.
- Pour the olive oil and basil into the blender. Add a pinch of salt.
- Blend for a few seconds until the basil is finely chopped and blended with the olive oil.
- Store in a bottle or jar. If the glass is dark, it will be even better, as it will protect the oil from the light.